What Motivates Us
We all love to laugh…but women are significantly underrepresented on the comedy scene. Being one of only a few in this space can be lonely, frustrating, and even scary at times. We launched Funny “Ladies” Power Hour to help empower women in comedy while helping people stay safe at home.
What We Do
We host FREE live comedy shows via Zoom featuring comedians who identify as women or non-binary every Wednesday at 8:00 pm Pacific / 11:00 pm Eastern.
Benefits to Comedians
- Bookings: Comedy clubs are closed, making it hard for comedians to work. We help keep comedians performing in front of an audience.
- Support: We offer a supportive environment for women-identifying and nonbinary comedians to perform in a field that often difficult for this population.
- Promotion: We promote, promote, promote the work of our comedians to help build their following.
Benefits to the Audience
- Free comedy shows: Financial situations have changed for many folks since March 2020. We don’t want anyone who is struggling to even think about the price of a ticket
- Social connections: Social isolation can be tough. We provide a fun way for folks to engage with others and meet new people while having fun!
- Staying home: We do our part to help slow the spread by giving folks a reason to stay home.
What Folks Are Saying
“I’m so glad that we tuned in and I want to thank all of you for putting this on. As I was watching it, I thought of how this whole year has been just so crazy and how much of a nice break this was from all of this craziness. The moment to have a little bit of something special in this period where there’s so much crap going on…it really was a nice break for me.”
“Just seeing a live performance of something, real people performing in real-time, was a joy.”
“The show uplifted me…the whole thing. It kept me going the rest of the week. We all needed to laugh..we just needed it.”
“Thank you all for putting this on! We’ll be back next Wednesday .”
How We Spend Funds
- Our priority for funds raised through this campaign is to book comedians for our Showcase performances.
- Next we’ll start using funds to help offset operating expenses that we’re currently paying out of pocket (website development and upgrades, Zoom subscription with upgraded plan, equipment to run the show, video hosting, captioning, etc).
- When operating expenses are under control, we’ll offer workshops led by professionals that help advance women in comedy.
A Labor of Love & Laughter
We (Mel Michele and Cynthia Annette–show creators, hosts, producers, talent scouts, booking agents, website developers, DJs, etc), do not receive financial compensation. But we do get a lot of love and laughter!